Over the years, new year resolutions have been a tradition among folks. It is seen as the result of an evaluation of the previous year with a bid to smoothen creases in the new year. However, statistics show that a huge percentage of resolutions do not survive past the first two months of the year. Many don’t even make it that far. Does that make it a waste of time?, Are there ways to be more intention and stick to our resolutions?, Are resolutions a yay or nay?. Well it all depends on you. I would be sharing tips on how to be more intentional about our resolutions.
First of all, we must understand that resolutions demand a resolve, it is born out of a yearning to change something about yourself, start or stop doing something in the new year. That being said, let’s go to the tips.
- Be specific: you must be specific about the change you intend to make in the new year. If you intend to achieve a goal before the year runs out, write the vision and make it plain.
- Set realistic goals: one of the reasons many resolutions don’t make it through the year is because they are not realistic, given the time, resources and other factors. When you sets unrealistic goals, frustration is likely to set in after some months of non-productivity. For instance, an addiction cannot be broken in a day, if you used to study for an hour, it’s unrealistic to increase it to six hours. Thus, your goals must be realistic and not be beyond your ability, otherwise frustration might set in.
- Have a plan: it is not enough to just set goals, you must have a plan towards achieving them. If you intend to start a business, break a habit, increase your study hours, whatever it is, set out a plan. For instance, if you intend to increase you study hours, a good study time-table is the way to go.
- Track your progress: tracking your progress is a good source of encouragement to get on with your goal. Appreciate little milestones crossed.
- Make a come-back for every set-back: while on the journey to achieving your goal, you might experience a set-back, don’t let it deter you, make a come-back!
I hope this tips help you make better resolutions this year. Don’t forget to subscribe and leave a comment below, are resolutions a yay or nay for you?. Cheers to a wonderful year ahead. Happy new year!